- Purchase in 2 minutes then complete the course at your own pace over a maximum of 12-weeks.
- Delivery combines online learning plus work based tasks.
- You will need to demonstrate you workplace skills via video. This can be completed by uploading videos of you performing the required tasks or via a live video conference with a trainer/assessor - click here for details.
- You will need to complete a work based assessment task – click here for details.
- Duration: Total 13.5 to 20 hrs made up of 5-11 hours online training and assessment plus work based task and demonstration of skills (8.5-9-hours) over a maximum of 12-weeks.
- Qualified trainers are available during business hours
- The nationally recognised statement of attainment issued is valid in all states.
- Please read our student guide (PDF, 745 KB) or more about your rights
- 5 Star Online Training (RTO #45332) is an official training provider
This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to handle food safely during the storage, preparation, display, service and disposal of food. It requires the ability to follow predetermined procedures as outlined in a food safety program.
The unit applies to all organisations with permanent or temporary kitchen premises or smaller food preparation areas. This includes restaurants, cafes, clubs, and hotels; tour operators; attractions; function, event, exhibition and conference catering; educational institutions; aged care facilities; correctional centres; hospitals; defence forces; cafeterias, kiosks, canteens and fast food outlets; residential catering; in-flight and other transport catering.
Safe food handling practices are based on an organisation’s individual food safety program. The program would normally be based on the hazard analysis and critical control points (HACCP) method, but this unit can apply to other food safety systems.
It applies to food handlers who directly handle food during the course of their daily work activities. This includes cooks, chefs, caterers, kitchen hands and food and beverage attendants.
- Australian residential and postal address
- Broadband Internet
- Latest version of a Compatible browser: Chrome (works best) / Safari / Internet Explorer 9+
- Speakers or headphones
- Desktop / Laptop / Tablets / iOS/ Android/ Mobile devices - Large size mobile smart phones (7cm x 12cm). Note with an iPhone you will need to click "Done" for each video sequence.
- Video recording device - your smart phone is perfect
- Students must successfully complete a language, literacy and numeracy (LLN) assessment prior to starting the course
- To complete this course you will be required to complete a workplace assessment task to demonstrate the required skills and knowledge in a suitable industry environment.
- You will be required to demonstrate your skills in a suitable food preparation environment via video - click here for details.
- You are required to work a minimum of 8 hours in an approved food preparation environment. You must submit a completed third-party report from a workplace supervisor or suitable observer. This report will provide evidence of practical skills. Click here for details.
What you will learn
- Personal hygiene
- Food storage & temperature control
- Cleaning, sanitation & pest control
- Food Safety Plan, basic monitoring and record keeping
- Role and responsibilities of a Food Safety Supervisor
How you will be assessed
The online course is delivered in 6 short sections with an assessment quiz after each section.
- Section 1: Understanding contamination
- Section 2: Typical workplace tasks
- Section 3: Supervisors and food safety programs
- Section 4: SimHotel – Receipt of goods – interactive simulation
- Section 5: SimHotel – Food preparation – interactive simulation
- Section 6: SimHotel – Hold, sell, display – interactive simulation
- Video demonstration of skills - click here for details
- Supervised work (min of 8 hours) in a suitable food preparation environment - click here for details.
A statement of attainment for the nationally recognised unit of competency
- SITXFSA002 – Participate in safe food handling practices
As a registered training organisation we must:
This qualification will be valid in the following states:
- Northern Territory
- Western Australia
- South Australia
- Australian Capital Territory – see NOTE
NOTE: ACT food safety supervisors must complete competency-based training in each of the prescribed units relevant to their industry sector. Currently, supermarkets, fast food outlets, cafes, restaurants, hotels, delis must complete the hospitality units. Convenience stores, grocers and petrol stations are able to complete the retail course. We will update these details if the situation changes. Please check the suitability of the course for your sector before ordering.
Achievement of this unit provides credit towards qualifications in tourism, travel, hospitality, events, holiday parks and resorts in the SIT Tourism, Travel and Hospitality Training Package.