- If you are currently employed in the retail sector this government approved course combining online training with work based assessment is the fastest way to get your Food Safety Supervisor certificate - If you are not currently employed consider this equivalent course
- Valid in the ACT, QLD, NT, SA, VIC, TAS & WA – click here for NSW
- Purchase in 2 minutes then complete the course at your own pace over 12-weeks.
- You will need to complete a work based assessment task – click here for details
- You will need to demonstrate your workplace skills via video. This can be completed by uploading videos of you performing the required tasks or via a 30-60 minute live video conference with a trainer/assessor - click here for details.
- Duration: Total 29.5-40 hrs made up of 5-15 hours online training and assessment plus work based task and demonstration of skills (24.5-25-hours over a minimum of 3 work shifts) over a maximum of 12-weeks
- Qualified trainers are available during business hours
- Food Safety Supervisor training is mandatory in Qld, NSW, Vic and the ACT and a general requirement in other states
- Please read our student guide (PDF, 745 KB) or more about your rights
- 5 Star Online Training (RTO #45332) is an official training provider
This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to handle food safely in the retail environment following organisational food safety procedures and relevant legislation and standard procedures.
This unit applies to individuals working in roles that involve the handling of food. They operate with some independence under general supervision and guidance from others, and within established organisational policies and procedures and relevant legislative requirements.
- Australian residential and postal address
- You must be 15 years or older to do this training
- You must be currently employed in the retail food service industry
- Broadband Internet
- Latest version of a Compatible browser: Chrome (works best) / Safari / Internet Explorer 9+
- Speakers or headphones
- Desktop / Laptop / Tablets / iOS/ Android/ Mobile devices - Large size mobile smart phones (7cm x 12cm). Note with an iPhone you will need to click "Done" for each video sequence
- Video recording device - your smart phone is perfect
- Students must successfully complete a language, literacy and numeracy (LLN) assessment prior to starting the course.
- To complete this course you will be required to complete a workplace assessment task to demonstrate the required skills and knowledge in a suitable industry environment.
- You will be required to demonstrate your skills in the workplace via video. Click here to view details of the video assessments.
- In addition, your workplace supervisor must complete an observation report of the student’s practical skills and sign a declaration that indicates the student is their employee and the workplace has the equipment/ resources required for assessment. Click here to view the workplace assessment task.
What you will learn
- Personal hygiene
- Food storage & temperature control
- Cleaning, sanitation & pest control
- Food Safety Plan, basic monitoring and record keeping
- Role and responsibilities of a Food Safety Supervisor
How you will be assessed
The online course is delivered in 9 short sections with an assessment quiz after each section.
Section 1: Introduction to food safety
Section 2: Understanding contamination
Section 3: You and your workplace
Section 4: SimHotel – Practice your skills – interactive simulation
Section 5: Typical workplace tasks
Section 6: Supervisors and food safety programs
Section 7: SimHotel – Receipt of goods – interactive simulation
Section 8: SimHotel – Food preparation – interactive simulation
Section 9: SimHotel – Hold, sell, display – interactive simulation
Video demonstration of skills - click here for details
Supervised work (min of 24 hours over 3 work shifts) signed off by your supervisor - click here for details
A statement of attainment for the nationally recognised unit of competency
- SIRRFSA001 – Handle food safely in a retail environment
As a registered training organisation we must:
This qualification will be valid in the following states:
- Northern Territory
- Western Australia
- South Australia
- Australian Capital Territory – see NOTE
NOTE: ACT food safety supervisors must complete competency-based training in each of the prescribed units relevant to their industry sector. Currently, supermarkets, fast food outlets, cafes, restaurants, hotels, delis must complete the hospitality units. Convenience stores, grocers and petrol stations are able to complete the retail course. We will update these details if the situation changes. Please check the suitability of the course for your sector before ordering.
Achievement of this unit provides credit towards the following qualifications in the SIR - Retail Services Training Package:
· SIR40316 – Certificate IV in Retail Management
· SIR30216 – Certificate III in Retail
· SIR20216 – Certificate II in Retail Services
And 1 qualification in the FBP – Food, Beverage and Pharmaceutical Training Package:
FBP40418 – Certificate IV in Food Science and Technology. These qualifications provide an extensive opportunity for employment across many roles.
- Duration - 29.5 - 40 Hrs
- Skill level - Easy
- Language - English
- Nationally recognised training
Starting from the 1st of January 2015, the federal government added a requirement that everyone undertaking nationally recognised training in Australia must have a Unique Student Identifier (USI).
During our course enrolment process you will be asked to provide your USI – or if you don’t already have one, we help you through the process of applying for your USI online. It is essential that the details you provide when applying for your USI match with the details and primary ID that you provide to us when you enrol. This is because these details must match for your statement of attainment to be validated by the Government system, otherwise, this may cause issues with the validity of your qualification.
In rare circumstances, you may need to speak directly with the government staff to provide further details. We will notify you if this is the case.
For more information see www.usi.gov.au
To ensure you receive an adequate level of support with your training and assessment, please consider the following questions.
Do you consider yourself to have any disability, special needs, reading or writing difficulties that may have an impact on your ability to complete this online course?
Do you believe you have the literacy skills to read and interpret documents such as:
- In-house policies and procedures?
- Other plain English regulatory and advisory information issued by authorities such as signs and leaflets,
- Record keeping requirements and mathematical equations?
If you are not confident that you will understand any of the components of this online training, refer to our knowledge base or contact us and we will make arrangements to assist you in your training or offer you face to face training if available in your area.
Food handlers must comply with the requirements contained within the Australia New Zealand Food Standards (ANZFS) Code (the Code).
The legislative requirement for a business to comply with the national standard for food safety practices, along with training and certification requirements, differ between State and Territory Governments. Those developing training to support this unit must consult the relevant state or territory food safety authority to determine any accreditation arrangements for courses, trainers and assessors.
In some states and territories businesses are required to designate a food safety supervisor who is required to be certified as competent in this unit through a registered training organisation.
If you feel that you have existing skills, knowledge and experience to meet the unit of competency and assessment requirements we may be able to offer you a tailored learning pathway. Please contact us for further consultation.