From 1 September 2015 to be certified as an FSS for a food premise in NSW and issued a valid certificate, a person must attain required units of competency from an approved RTO under the FSS program. The units of competency must incorporate three additional key focus areas determined by the Food Authority and published on its website:
- safe egg handling
- allergen management
- cleaning and sanitising practices.
- This NSW Food Authority approved course combining online training with work based assessment is the fastest way to get your NSW Food Safety Supervisor certificate.
- Valid in all states of Australia.
- Purchase in 2 minutes then complete the course at your own pace over 12-weeks.
- You will need to complete a work based assessment task – click here for details
- You will need to demonstrate your workplace skills via video. This can be completed by uploading videos of you performing the required tasks or via a 30-60 minute live video conference with a trainer/assessor - click here for details.
- Duration: Total 29.5-40 hrs made up of 5-15 hours online training and assessment plus work based task and demonstration of skills (24.5-25-hours over a minimum of 3 work shifts) over a maximum of 12-weeks
- Qualified trainers are available during business hours
- Food Safety Supervisor training is mandatory in Qld, NSW, Vic and the ACT and a general requirement in other states
- Please read our student guide (PDF, 745 KB) or more about your rights
- 5 Star Online Training (RTO #45332) is an official training provider
This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to handle food safely in the retail environment following organisational food safety procedures and relevant legislation and standard procedures.
This unit applies to individuals working in roles that involve the handling of food. They operate with some independence under general supervision and guidance from others, and within established organisational policies and procedures and relevant legislative requirements.
- Australian residential and postal address
- You must be 15 years or older to do this training
- You must be currently employed in the retail food service industry
- Broadband Internet
- Latest version of a Compatible browser: Chrome (works best) / Safari / Internet Explorer 9+
- Speakers or headphones
- Desktop / Laptop / Tablets / iOS/ Android/ Mobile devices - Large size mobile smart phones (7cm x 12cm). Note with an iPhone you will need to click "Done" for each video sequence.
- Video recording device - your smart phone is perfect
- Students must successfully complete a language, literacy and numeracy (LLN) assessment prior to starting the course.
- To complete this course you will be required to complete a workplace assessment task to demonstrate the required skills and knowledge in a suitable industry environment.
- You will be required to demonstrate your skills in the workplace via video. Click here to view details of the video assessments.
- In addition, your workplace supervisor must complete an observation report of the student’s practical skills and sign a declaration that indicates the student is their employee and the workplace has the equipment/ resources required for assessment. Click here to view the workplace assessment task.
What you will learn
- Personal hygiene
- Safe egg handling
- Allergen management
- Food storage & temperature control
- Cleaning, sanitation & pest control
- Food Safety Plan, basic monitoring and record keeping
- Role and responsibilities of a Food Safety Supervisor
How you will be assessed
The online course is delivered in 9 short sections with an assessment quiz after each section.
Section 1: Introduction to food safety
Section 2: Understanding contamination
Section 3: You and your workplace
Section 4: SimHotel – Practice your skills – interactive simulation
Section 5: Typical workplace tasks
Section 6: Supervisors and food safety programs
Section 7: SimHotel – Receipt of goods – interactive simulation
Section 8: SimHotel – Food preparation – interactive simulation
Section 9: SimHotel – Hold, sell, display – interactive simulation
Video demonstration of skills - click here for details
Supervised work (min of 24 hours over 3 work shifts) signed off by your supervisor - click here for details
A statement of attainment for the nationally recognised unit of competency
- SIRRFSA001 – Handle food safely in a retail environment
- NSW Food Authority Food Safety Supervisor certificate – a hard copy mailed to you within 5-10 days.*
*It is a requirement that the RTO provide your personal details to the NSW Food Authority in order to issue your NSW Food Safety Supervisor certificate.
As a registered training organisation we must:
This qualification will be valid in the following states:
- New South Wales
- Northern Territory
- Western Australia
- South Australia
- Australian Capital Territory – see NOTE
NOTE: ACT food safety supervisors must complete competency-based training in each of the prescribed units relevant to their industry sector. Currently, supermarkets, fast food outlets, cafes, restaurants, hotels, delis must complete the hospitality units. Convenience stores, grocers and petrol stations are able to complete the retail course. We will update these details if the situation changes. Please check the suitability of the course for your sector before ordering.
Achievement of this unit provides credit towards the following qualifications in the SIR - Retail Services Training Package:
· SIR40316 – Certificate IV in Retail Management
· SIR30216 – Certificate III in Retail
· SIR20216 – Certificate II in Retail Services
And 1 qualification in the FBP – Food, Beverage and Pharmaceutical Training Package:
FBP40418 – Certificate IV in Food Science and Technology. These qualifications provide an extensive opportunity for employment across many roles.