- Purchase in 2 minutes then complete the course at your own pace over 12-weeks.
- Delivery combines online learning plus a work based task - click here for details.
- The nationally recognised statement of attainment issued is valid in all states.
- Course duration: 4-8 hours online training and assessment plus work based task (8-hours) over a maximum of 12-weeks.
- Please read our student guide (PDF, 745 KB) or more about your rights
- 5 Star Online Training (RTO #45332) is an official training provider
This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to use personal hygiene practices to prevent contamination of food that might cause food-borne illnesses. It requires the ability to follow predetermined organisational procedures and to identify and control food hazards
Application of the Unit
The unit applies to all organisations with permanent or temporary kitchen premises or smaller food preparation or bar areas.
This includes restaurants, cafes, clubs, hotels, and bars; tour operators; attractions; function, event, exhibition and conference catering; educational institutions; aged care facilities; correctional centres; hospitals; defence forces; cafeterias; kiosks; canteens and fast food outlets; residential catering; in-flight and other transport catering.
It applies to food handlers who directly handle food or food contact surfaces such as cutlery, plates and bowls during the course of their daily work activities. This includes cooks, chefs, caterers, kitchen stewards, kitchen hands, bar, and food and beverage attendants, and sometimes room attendants and front office staff.
- Australian residential and postal address
- Broadband Internet
- Latest version of a Compatible browser: Chrome (works best) / Safari / Internet Explorer 9+
- Speakers or headphones
- Desktop / Laptop / Tablet / iOS / Android / Mobile devices
- Video recording device - your smart phone is perfect
- Students must successfully complete a language, literacy and numeracy (LLN) assessment prior to starting the course.
- To complete this course you will be required to complete a workplace assessment task to demonstrate the required skills and knowledge in a suitable industry environment. You will be required to demonstrate your skills in the workplace via video. In addition, your workplace supervisor must complete an observation report of the student’s practical skills and sign a declaration that indicates the student is their employee and the workplace has the equipment/ resources required for assessment. Click here to view the workplace assessment task.
What you will learn
- Personal hygiene
- Food storage & temperature control
- Cleaning, sanitation & pest control
How you will be assessed
The online course is delivered in 4 short sections with an assessment quiz after each section.
- Section 1: Introduction to food safety
- Section 2: Understanding contamination
- Section 3: You and your workplace
- Section 4: SimHotel – Practice your skills – interactive simulation
In addition, participants will be required to complete a work based task for assessment.
As a registered training organisation we must:
- Duration - 12-16 Hrs
- Skill level - Easy
- Language - English
- Nationally recognised training
Starting from the 1st of January 2015, the federal government added a requirement that everyone undertaking nationally recognised training in Australia must have a Unique Student Identifier (USI).
During our course enrolment process you will be asked to provide your USI – or if you don’t already have one, we help you through the process of applying for your USI online. It is essential that the details you provide when applying for your USI match with the details and primary ID that you provide to us when you enrol. This is because these details must match for your statement of attainment to be validated by the Government system, otherwise, this may cause issues with the validity of your qualification.
In rare circumstances, you may need to speak directly with the government staff to provide further details. We will notify you if this is the case.
For more information see www.usi.gov.au
To ensure you receive an adequate level of support with your training and assessment, please consider the following questions.
Do you consider yourself to have any disability, special needs, reading or writing difficulties that may have an impact on your ability to complete this online course?
Do you believe you have the literacy skills to read and interpret documents such as:
- In-house policies and procedures?
- Other plain English regulatory and advisory information issued by authorities such as signs and leaflets,
- Record keeping requirements and mathematical equations?
If you are not confident that you will understand any of the components of this online training, refer to our knowledge base or contact us and we will make arrangements to assist you in your training or offer you face to face training if available in your area.
Food handlers must comply with the requirements contained within the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code.
In some States and Territories businesses are required to designate a food safety supervisor who is required to be certified as competent in this unit through a registered training organisation.